Saturday, January 12, 2013

12) Describe a typical day in your current life.

Typical day... here is the general gist fer ya.

I usually leave and take a bus a few minutes after Joel, but I still have to wake up earlier than him and I hate that. I LOVE my bed way too much, and I am definitely not a morning person. (Side note- I usually get on facebook in the morning to help wake me up! Kinda weird, I never use to do that… But it really helps! Since majority of my friends back home have been on facebook, so much happens while I am asleep!)

Now that we have a cat I usually like to go and cuddle with her in the mornings! Just for a few minutes... She misses us so much at night! She is very cuddly, and it is nice to feel loved by her.

I try to hurry and get ready to leave, so Joel and I can read our scriptures before I leave. We use to read them at night.. But we were sooo exhausted and didn't get anything out of it! Thus we decided to switch to mornings.

Then I run to the bus. I use to HATE running to the bus, but now I don't mind as much. It isn't too bad of a run now that we have moved and the bus stop is a bit closer. 

While on the bus I attempt to close my eyes and rest, really depending on the day. Now I like to read a book to keep me entertained! It is hard getting use to so many people on the bus! Sometimes I am lucky if I even get a seat. I usually ride the bus for about 25 min to get into town to hop on the train!!! Then that takes another 25 minutes... So the whole process of getting to school takes about an hour and 15 min away takes quite some time! 

I love this Thai restaurant on my walk from the train station to class, just fyi. Annnd it just so happens to be Joel's favorite as well :)

I usually always get to class late! It isn't too bad, but I could be earlier .. Haha I should probably try harder to be on time... But it is so hard being so far away!!!

I have class from 9am to noon, and I study Swedish. In the past we have studied songs, worked on grammar, talked a lot... One time we even played hang man haha!! Class is good. Sometimes it is hard and frustrating when you don't know what is going on, and you can't understand anyone. Not to mention during class they ONLY speak Swedish. They don't help you out in the beginning with Swedish and English, ONLY Swedish. I was oh so frustrated for months, and I hated going to class. I had no idea it took this much patience to learn a new language!! It is during times like these where I wish I was linguistic... Plus it is hard for me, because most people in my class have learned multiple languages, whereas I have not. 
I then go on lunch break. Lunch breaks are usually kinda fun! All the other immigrants in my class all go out and eat together, and it is fun and interesting to hear why everyone is in Sweden. I am the only American in my class, and most everyone comes from different countries! I really like the people there, they are funny. There are about four people from England (they have a hard time learning Swedish.. like me. Because they haven't learned another language), one from Whales, India, Bolivia, Russia, Turkey, Syria, Greece, France, Germany, and Australia... Just to name a few ;)

After class I usually head to the gym, if my schedule allows it! I work out at a place called Sports Life, and it is ok. They give good discounts to students, so that means if you go at a time when all the 15-18 year olds go... They might drive you crazy. Like, REALLY crazy. I try my hardest not to get annoyed, haha! There are soooo many. Which is why I try to go while they are all in school ;)
The other day at the gym I was doing a kettlebell workout, and this (super) old lady comes up to me and starts talking to me in suuuper fast Swedish!!!! I couldn't understand a word she said. Before I could say anything, she walked away. I am hoping she was giving me a compliment at my amazing kettlebell skills... But I guess we will never know!

I go to a school called NOVA and talk with kids for my "praktik", where I can practice my Swedish. Talking to kids is the best way to learn Swedish, or so I have heard! I usually talk with kids around the ages of 8, 9, and 10! That way they are old enough to realize I can't speak Swedish, and are excited to help teach me! And it is so. Cute. It is nice because I can practice my Swedish, and they can practice their English! Win win! We play games, and talk! I usually go there after they are done with school and they have their after school program, it is much easier to talk with them then! They aren't working on homework at this time and just playing... great for all of us!

I head home after this and spend time with Joel, finally! I feel like it is such a long day of shoving Swedish into my head, haha! That is a typical day in my current life :)

0 notes: