Sunday, May 3, 2015

Emma's First Broken Bone



What a week this has turned out to be. Emma and I went and played with cousins on Tuesday. She absolutely adores her cousins, and loves walking after them and following them around. Around 5pm, we were getting ready for dinner when I had to hurry and use the restroom. All of the sudden, I heard Emma start screaming and crying. I immediately thought she had bonked her head as usual, so when I tried comforting her I was surprised how much she was crying.

I tried feeding her dinner and that seemed to help her feel better, but when I put her down so I could clean up the mess from dinner, she wouldn't stand up and kept crying and reaching for me. At this time I felt like something was off... but I couldn't put my finger on it. It is so hard to know what is wrong with babies when they can't talk to you and tell you what's wrong!! I was guessing she was overly tired since she took a nap at a weird time that day, the food was making her gassy, or she hurt somehow from her fall that I didn't see.

As Joel and I got her ready for bed, I was hoping Emma was just overly tired and would fall asleep fast. After we put her to bed around 7, she would sleep for 10-15 minutes then would wake up crying again. I had this horrible feeling at the bottom of my stomach that this was going to be a long night! Around 9 I was starting to go crazy, and facetimed my parents for help since I felt like I had no idea what I was doing to help my babe. They assured me to follow my motherly instincts, and then in the morning I would figure out what was up with Emma.

Around midnight Joel and I went with our instincts that something was wrong with Emma's leg, and gave her some medicine to hopefully help her sleep. Joel also gave Emma a priesthood blessing, and she slept until 6am. I was hoping she'd sleep longer, and I tried everything to get her to go back to sleep haha. But, she was up for the day and Joel got up with her. Around 9am I woke up, and Joel told me something was definitely wrong with her leg since she wouldn't walk on it, and every time he touched or moved her leg she started crying. We also noticed it was starting to swell up around her ankle and a little above it.

We hurried and got Emma to the hospital. I was contemplating on not going, since I thought Emma would have more of a sprain or twisted ankle. We got there around 10, saw the doctor around 11:30. He recommended we do an x-ray on her leg, ankle, and foot just in case there could be a break. When he met up with us again after the x-ray he was very surprised when he told us she had a little break in her leg, about 1 inch above her ankle. I would have never guessed she had actually broken her leg! Joel and I kept saying over and over again how grateful we were to have come in to the hospital and have Emma's leg checked. The hard part was the doctor then told us we had to drive 30 minutes to another hospital to put on the cast..... uhhh ok. Luckily Emma fell asleep as soon as we buckled her in the car! Poor girl had such a long few days.


Emma was such a champ! She kept surprising us how good she was doing... waving to all the doctors, nurses, and other patients. Until she had her cast put on her, she was completely happy all day! She was not happy at all putting the cast on, but after the doctors gave her some medicine she calmed down, and it was so nice to have my happy baby back! I'm just glad to see she's not in pain anymore. Emma doesn't walk on her cast, but oddly enough she has finally learned how to crawl! I guess she needed a cast to help her crawl instead of her usual scoot ;)




So sad, yet why is a little cast is so cute??

1 notes:

Megan and Jared said...

That little sad face just breaks my heart! I'm so glad she is feeling better. I hope she heals up quickly!