Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Top 5 Things I Like and Dislike About Living in Sweden

I figured since I have been writing only blog posts about baby girl for quite some time now, it might be nice to mix things up a bit ;) I feel like I don't write too often about how it is for me living in Sweden, so Joel came up with this idea since I've been living here for a little more than a year and a half now! I'm going to give you a warning about this post being long! At first I had the two separate, but then I couldn't decide which one to post first. Thus resulting into me meshing them into one :)

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT LIVING IN SWEDEN:
1) Joel's family. Any of you who have met my in-laws know they are the sweetest, and that I have married into the best and most wonderful family! Deep down I know we won't live in Sweden forever and plan on moving back to the states, especially since Joel was born in the states and it would be easier for him to live in the states than it is for me to live here. I have loved getting to know Joel's family, especially since I met them for the first time two weeks before we got married. I feel as though Joel and I were raised so similarly, even though we grew up on different continents and speak different languages. Crazy how the gospel has made it so our families believe in similar things and that we all get along so well. Joel and his brothers get along so well, and Joel's parents have been amazing at always being there for me when I have needed them, truly being my family here in Sweden since I don't have my family here. I love his family ridiculously much!!



2) Paid maternity leave. In Sweden if a woman works for 9 months she can qualify for 80% paid maternity leave.. a total of 480 days I think. There are a BUNCH of rules with these days and honestly I don't want to write them down because there is so much you learn along the way.. just trust me when I say this would probably be one of the biggest reasons we would stay living in Sweden. I can be a stay at home mom, pop out babies, and continue to be paid.

3) Swedish summers. Coming from Utah where I was so use to having great seasons, I don't think I truly took advantage of how nice I had it... until I came to Sweden. In Sweden (depending on where you live in Sweden of course) you might have a good month for fall, but then winter comes. It rains, is dark, and you might get snow (again, depending on where you live). When the spring comes the light starts to come back and every Swede at every bus stop has their face turned towards the sun soaking in the slightly warm rays of sunshine. I've actually been tempted to take pictures of people because everyone has their face turned towards the sun! Anyways... since the winters are extra long and dark, I feel as though you need to take advantage of summer more. Well, those good summer days ;) When it is nice outside, you HAVE to go out that very minute because the weather can change so fast. Always take a rain jacket to the beach ;) And when it is nice outside in the summer.. it is extra nice. Swedish summers are the best!

Summer. You can come back any day now! We kinda miss you.

While we were in the states this past summer, we were told we missed one of the best summers Sweden has had in over ten years. I think it broke Joel's heart to hear that! It was weird being in Utah for the summer for Joel since every day was warm and sunny... he had to go out every day haha! It was a little too hot for him ;)

4) Public transportation. Even though this has a love/hate relationship, I am really grateful that I can still get around and not have a car. The love part comes from the feeling of getting a little bit of exercise in every day ;) The hate part comes from wanting to go somewhere and it is really difficult (or out of the way) to get to. Or let's say the bus doesn't come for two hours and you just missed it! Worst. Feeling. Ever.
I also love that the cities are made for pedestrians! One of my favorite things to do is walk around downtown Gothenburg in the spring, summer, or fall (anytime that isn't winter and dark basically) and take in the atmosphere of the city. Everyone is busy doin' their own thing and running around but for some reason I love it.
One of my favorite parts of Gothenburg

5) Swedish food. I kind of love that it is expensive and not as convenient to eat out, so we eat fairly healthy I think... which results in me feeling great! Joel is the cook in our home, so he cooks a lot of the time! Plus he is super smart and makes a lot of food (sometimes for 12 people!) and we freeze it and have left overs for days. Another thing I love about Swedish food is the traditions.. for Christmas especially. If we were to move to Utah, Joel would definitely miss his Christmas food his mom is so good at making. Joel is very Swedish when it comes to traditions.

Christmas food. YUM.


--------------------------

Now onto the things I dislike. Keep in mind that this is my opinion and my view point ;)

THINGS I DISLIKE ABOUT LIVING IN SWEDEN:
1) My family isn't here. Which is dumb. I guess I understand why they didn't move to Sweden with me haha. When Joel and I were dating we made a huuuuge pro's and con's list about living in Sweden vs. living in Utah. In the end it came down to living in Utah because of my family, or living in Sweden because of Joel's work connections, his own apartment, and his secure job. At the time it just felt so right to move here and try living in Sweden. Since then his job has changed and we have moved. Basically, the number one reason as to why I moved to Sweden in the first place no longer exists really... except for the fact that we live here because we are here. Aaaand the thought of moving over seems overwhelming! But we're going to take it as it comes and wait until we feel it is right :) Also since we're having a baby so soon it is killing me to know my family won't see her and meet her. Well, my parents are coming over for two weeks for a few weeks after my due date! I'm glad they'll get to meet her at least.
I also don't want to be "that older sister that lives in Sweden" that my little sisters don't know. I am the oldest and my youngest sister is 12, and I really don't want them to feel like they don't know me.



2) and 3) Swedish winters. I say this because the winters are horrible and count for two reasons. :) When we move back to Utah, I promise to never complain about winters again!! Seriously. The winters here on the west coast of Sweden are not fun. The perfect way to describe it would be gray and slushy. I like to say that if there is one thing Swedes have, it is hope. HOPE for a good summer. HOPE for a good winter. Always hoping ;) That is why Swedes (in my opinion) are awesome at taking advantage of those good days. I've only been in Sweden for two winters, and I have heard there have been better winters... I sure hope so!! Because gosh dang it, it rained 90% of the time, if not more. It isn't too cold, but with the humidity (which I am not use to coming from Utah!) it just nibbles at your bones somehow. It did happen to snow and that lasted for.. what? A week or two in January? That was kind of nice, I felt slightly at home. And then it rained. And rained. And rained. And it was dark. I'm pretty sure everyone was thinking, "Why are we living here again??" Joel made a good point where he said he would rather it snow, because it lights everything up better. With the rain it is gray and not fun. I know up in northern Sweden and closer to Stockholm they have a lot more snow. I told Joel that we are not moving there though! If we do move somewhere it would be Utah.

4) Swedish vs English. I know this is probably a pretty obvious one. A couple of my faults as a human being: I am SUPER hard on myself, and I compare myself to others. I am way hard on myself on the inside. I'm always thinking, "My Swedish is horrible. I need to study more. I didn't study enough. The baby is coming and I need to know more Swedish. That person learned this much Swedish in this amount of time, and I am nowhere near that good!" I could go on and on... but I think you get the point! Moving to a new country has not been easy, especially learning the language. It sure doesn't help that I am hard on myself, because then I feel as though it is even harder to learn and keep positive. I try to have the mindset that learning a language is a constant learning process, and that I don't have to be perfect at it. Our plan with the baby is to have Joel only speak Swedish with her, and I'll speak English. Which could be hard since English is our language, ya know? But we'll see and take it as it comes!


5) I'm American. Very American :) Living in Sweden with Swedes has been tough since I am so American. I feel as though I truly can't be myself. I think that is why Joel and I work so well together... he is so American-like himself.
Going back to the states last summer made me realize how much more comfortable I am there. Of course it is where I grew up! To see the differences in how I felt was so black and white. Joel and I made friends at every store and took us forever to go shopping. Here in Sweden you just don't talk to people, and that is just how I've experienced it. The other day I was at a store and someone working there saw me walk in with my huge stomach and basically yelled, "I love your stomach!!" in Swedish of course but it completely took me by surprise since no one has ever talked to me in a store. I was in complete shock by someone talking to me that I barely remembered to say thanks!
I guess it just comes down to cultural differences. I'm an American trying to fit in another culture and it isn't always easy! If there is a plus side, I feel like I am always challenged and growing in that sense. :)


And there ya have it!! Things I do and don't like about living in Sweden.

1 notes:

Shantel said...

I love reading about your opinions and point of view! Such an interesting life experience. I've been impressed with how positive and optimistic you've been while living in Sweden. So interesting to read about both sides.