Sunday, June 5, 2016

William Michael Herrey: 7 Months Old

Our little William is 7 months old. Wasn't I just pregnant and a week overdue with him, waiting for him to come?! Oh how time is a weird thing. You all know the quote, "the days are long but the years are short", is becoming more and more true these days. For me, lately motherhood is summed up in this one sentence: protect the younger child from the older child. Emma is just so strong and wants to play with William, so I'm trying to teach her how we need to treat William since he is still quite small.

I love how William and Emma are similar in so many ways, but also very different. Emma has always slept in her room on her own, and now William is the same. We have such good routines going at the moment! It feels so good, finally. During the day William wakes up and I'll nurse him. About 30 minutes or an hour before he goes down for a nap or to bed, I will give him some food and cereal. Then once I finish feeding him I just lay him in his bed and he goes right to sleep! I am so proud of him and that he goes to sleep on his own, but gosh am I sad that he doesn't need me to fall asleep! It's hard watching him grow up sometimes ;)

Lately William has been such a good sleeper. This past month I started feeding him baby food and cereal, and he went from waking up every two hours at night to sleeping from 8pm until around 7 or 8 in the morning.  I felt so bad once it hit me that he was waking up starving! He was gaining weight so well, I didn't think he was hungry and needed more food other than nursing. I tried nursing him more during the day, but he didn't want me. :( When he started eating food that's when he started sleeping so much better! I can also tell that he is much happier during the day now that he is eating so much more. Once in a while he wakes up during the night, but I just go into his room and give him his binkie and he goes right back to sleep. Here in our apartment in California we have a 3 bedroom apartment, which has been a huge blessing for us so William could have his own room to sleep in! We all sleep so much better these days. My goal this summer is to make sure William continues to sleep through the night and get Emma potty trained so they can share a room when we move to Idaho in the fall. 

William is constantly moving and wiggling! I look over at him all the time to see him grooving to his own rhythm, as if he is constantly dancing to music. William is quite strong and can push himself up to crawling position, but thankfully he can't crawl yet ;) I need a little bit more time to prepare for that day! Whenever I put music on, William definitely starts moving and dancing even more. I am amazed how much William already loves music! He also loves it when I sing to him, which is new to me since Emma doesn't like it at all when I sing! Singing to him is part of our bedtime routine and I loooove it. After I feed him I bring him into his room, give him his binkie and his blankie, and I sing him a song before laying him down in his bed. Right now I've noticed his favorite song is "Hush little baby, don't say a word..." because he gets the biggest smile on his face and giggles through the whole song.

Emma and William are definitely starting their sibling relationship bond, finally! My favorite thing to do is watch William watch Emma. I love how much he loves her already! He will just sit there smiling as she moves, talks, and does her own thing. He rarely takes his eyes off of her. Emma hasn't wanted anything to do with William until recently, when he started sitting up all on his own and interacting with her more a few weeks ago. She really likes to push him over, and I try hard to not get too mad at her. I always feel so bad for little William! She just likes to watch him fall! I mean, we push and play with her so why can't she do the same with William?? Makes sense in her little head, right? I just feel bad for him, but I can't wait for the day when he isn't so little and he can defend himself! I try so hard to tell Emma that he is so small and that she gives him owies, but she hasn't quite caught on yet haha. I feel like my main role in motherhood right now is to protect William ;)

Whenever someone sees or holds William, I ALWAYS get the comments, "Wow, he's so solid! He's such a happy baby!" These comments never fail, and I wait for them when someone holds him ;) the way Joel's parents talk about Joel when he was a baby, it sounds like William is a little clone of Joel. When we facetime Joel's parents, his mom especially gets caught off guard because she feels like she's looking at Joel as a baby, when she's looking at William!

0 notes: