Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Emma Elaine: 3 Weeks Old

I am going to start off with some bad news... Joel tried updating my computer and it crashed. For good. Which is a huuuge bummer, because we still used it a lot! It is a PC from 2009, and I am surprised it has actually lasted this long. I wasn't very good at updating and taking care of it either. :/ The sad part is Joel's computer completely died a month or two ago as well... so now we are lacking in the computer department. Which unfortunately makes it awfully hard to update my blog, so we shall see how that goes. Luckily my lil sis Annie is here visiting and I can use her computer for a little bit.

I wanted to write down a few random things that happened at the hospital that I want to remember. :)
I love that I had a little button to call a midwife, and she could be to our room in less than a minute. Joel also happened to find and push the emergency button on accident thinking it was the same button as mine, only to find a bunch of midwives frantically rushing into our room scared something had happened. I am really glad I called a midwife to come help me every time I breastfed, because I was determined to feel slightly comfortable breastfeeding before I left the hospital.
Another memory was during our last night, I told Joel to put Emma to sleep. She was wide awake when he started singing my favorite Swedish summer song he sang all the time while I was pregnant, and she fell asleep within seconds. We looked at each other, amazed at what had happened!
One of my favorites.... one midwife was helping me breastfeed when she suddenly said, "If only more women had breasts like these!!" I hurried and glanced at Joel, making sure I heard her right. Sure enough I did ;) And not only did one midwife make that comment, but the next day a different midwife said the same thing!!! I felt pretty good about that compliment...
I mentioned in my last post that the first thing Emma did when she came out was poop all over the midwives. I didn't mention that within her first hour of being alive she also pooped again all over me and the cords I had from the epidural taped to my side. It was a HUGE mess. We tried cleaning it off but couldn't and had to call in a midwife to help because it was so sticky and just all over the place. At 7 in the morning and no going on no sleep, all I could do was laugh. She had pooped so much in her short life I was amazed.

Anyways, onto the little one!! Little Emma is 3 (and 1/2) weeks old! So. Weird. People are still asking me different details about labor and birth, and I can barely remember some things! Which makes me oh so sad, because I wanted to remember everything. I am so obsessed with her. She is such a great baby. The first two weeks she slept a LOT. Like, so much I had to wake her up after she slept for 7 hours at the hospital. As of late she sleeps good during the day, and sleeps for four or 5 hour intervals during the night. I am just glad she sleeps good during the day and night! I am such a proud mom... Plus she is a great eater. I call her my little champ! I always heard breastfeeding was so hard and to give it a few weeks, and sure it was REALLY hard. I feel like Emma caught on real quick which made it easier on me!

Here are a few things that I love about her:
- She is obsessed with her hands. My mom noticed and pointed out they are a kind of comfort for her. She either holds her hands together while I feed her, or she is touching her face.
- If I were to describe Emma in one word, I would use content. She really is such a content baby! Once she is fed and changed, she can look around for a good hour or so. Unless she has a tummy ache or something, she is super content.
- She is becoming more and more alert everyday. Yesterday Annie was holding her as I stood up to get something and Emma watched me get up and walk around! It was the cutest, knowing she was watching me.
- She loves patterns. We have pictures above our couch she loves to look at, and hearts above our bed. Looking at them really calms her down ;) She really focuses and makes a cute little "O" with her mouth. I need to get a picture of it...
- She loves looking at herself in the mirror I have set up above her changing pad, and can stare at herself the whole time I change her.
- People say she is my little twin, but I don't see any of me in her! Sometimes I see glimpses of me and Joel... but we will see how she changes as she gets older. She does have the same color of hair I did when I was born! My mom said I was a hairy baby and that it took me a while to lose the newborn hair, but she got the furry forehead part from me I guess.
- I love it when she gets so excited when I get her in position to eat, she starts breathing heavy and looking around frantically. Then she can't latch on because she is too excited. I laugh hard every time because it is the cutest.
- Emma has started smiling more and not just in her sleep which is sooo much fun! I can't wait to see what every day will bring as she continues to learn :)
- She has big feet. They don't fit in her 0-3 month socks, and they barely squeeze into her footed pj's.
- Emma has the cutest high pitch scream when she is hungry. It isn't an angry scream, but it is super girly and it makes me giggle.


Sorry this is another long blog post, I promise to put up pictures soon. There has been so much that I wanted to write and get down first. :)

2 notes:

Megan and Jared said...

She sounds like such a good baby!! I am so happy for you :)

Shantel said...

I love reading out all of these sweet details. You'll be so glad that you took the time to write them down. Emma seems like such a sweet little happy baby. I'm so glad. And your stories from the hospital are awesome.