Tuesday, November 17, 2015

What is Life With Two Kids Like??

I took these pictures a day or two after we came home from the hospital. As soon as I put him on the bed he puked EVERYWHERE. Like a fountain everywhere. #typical

I've been asked a lot how the transition has gone from having one kid to two. Since William was born almost two weeks ago now, it's actually been surprisingly easier than I thought! I'm pretty positive that's because Joel was able to get three weeks to be home with us before going back to work. ;) I am beyond grateful he will be home helping me for so long! I believe that has made the transition, especially for Emma, easier for us.

I love how her hair is down and in her face... so messy and wild! I feel like that describes Emma well right now haha


Two weeks before William was born, Emma got really sick with a fever and has been such a "typical" toddler ever since... she's started throwing fits and tantrums by throwing herself on the floor and thrashing about if she is frustrated because she can't communicate what she wants. She even started hitting me a couple times, and that scared the crap out of me. My first thought was, "Who are you and what have you done with my sweet Emma??" I have a quote on my phone that I look at all the time to help me with my patience with these tantrums she's been throwing, "When little people are overwhelmed by big emotions, it's our job to share our calm, not join their chaos." -L. R. Knost. I haven't been perfect at following this advice, but I try my hardest to kneel down next to her and help her calm down. I feel so bad that Emma can't communicate how she feels to us, so I take a deep breath and kneel down to her level to talk with her and to understand what she wants and needs.


Emma is learning two languages at home, and I am actually quite surprised how well she can talk, considering the fact that she is taking in double everything! I feel like that has been the hardest for us, having two kids... dealing with Emma's tantrums ;) little William is such a good baby! He sleeps and eats a lot, so I have been able to balance out the two kids really well with Joels help of course :) We've been able to take turns taking naps and that has helped so much. The time will come when we have to go back to real life and Joel has to go back to work, then that will be the time to ask me how I'm doing taking care of two kids all by myself!





Being so young, Emma doesn't understand that little William is a baby, and she shows no signs of interest towards him at all. When she was kissing me goodnight last night, she did give William a kiss too! She also helps give him his binkie, which I think is so cute because she's really soft with him. And that's pretty much the most interest she's showed so far. When we first came home with him, she use to cry and get upset when he did, and that was hard trying to calm both of them down. Now she acts as if he's always been here, and when he cries she doesn't even flinch!


Finally caught his sweet little sleepy smile on camera

So, I guess life with two kids has been really great, better than I imagined. I am a little nervous when both my littles will need me at the same time when Joel isn't here to help.... but I feel so blessed to know that they only want me

I can't believe how much I have missed having a newborn. All the little noises he makes and the movements... The way his jaw moves while he eats is even adorable. I can't and won't stop smelling him! That is my favorite part of having a newborn for sure. And kissing his wrinkly forehead. And kissing his little lips while smelling his sweet breath. I sure do feel blessed to be their mama.



2 notes:

Megan and Jared said...

I'm so glad it's going well for you! You'll do great when Joel goes back to work. Sometimes you have to hold two babies at once but it all works out :)

Fatima Dedrickson said...

I have never heard that quote but I LOVE IT!!! You're doing so good mama, keep it up!! She will throw tantrums but make her feel included. Specially when Joel leaves, my advice is find things for her to do and help baby. Also, you're in Sweden and it gets dark real quick...LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT, cause you're probably not going to want to go outside in the cold. The light will will help you stay happy :)