Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First Few Days In EUROPE.

Wellllll lets just say things have been extremely crazy around here!!
We are 8 hours ahead of Utah time, and that was the hardest part.
JET LAG.
We (Brad and myself) left Morgan around 4:30 am. My plane left for the D.C. airport around 7:45 am.
Lets just say I got about an hour and a half  of sleep in!
Not to mention it was very hard to leave Brad at the airport...
When we FINALLY landed (I thought the 4 hour plane ride was tedious, man was I in for a treat for our next flight!) we could not find Heathers carry-on suitcase. We noticed there was a bag that was left one the plane with a phone number and a name on it, that looked NOTHING like hers, but we thought we'd might as well try to call the guy who left his bag, to see if it was his.
He had mistaken Heathers slightly large suitcase for his little oxygen tank! We thought it was hilarious but she ended up getting her stuff back.... thankfully it all worked out.
Just don't travel with a black bag, because A) it might be mistaken for an oxygen tank and B) everyone has a black bag of some sort, and it could easily get lost!
Our next  flight took 8 hours from D.C. to Copenhagen, Denmark and it took off about 35 min late. 
I'm so glad they fed us, even if it was airplane food. It was nice to have something in my belly!
When we got into the Denmark airport (which was HUGE) we missed our plane from Denmark to Gothenburg, Sweden. Gothenburg is only about 40-45 min away from Alingsås (you kinda pronounce it Ah-ling-sauce), where we are staying for the summer.
So we left Utah around 7:30 am Thursday morning, and got to Sweden at 12:30 pm Friday afternoon Sweden time. The time difference was so messed up I couldn't tell what time it was. Ever.
My feet swelled up on the plane to Denmark BIG time. It was so horrible I could barely walk!
Kelsey gave me some Benadryl, and when we were in Sweden I was out of it the whole day. I ended up going to bed around 5 pm!
I met the family I was staying with and man are they cute! I couldn't have asked for a better family to stay with.
They are all very nice, polite, and thoughtful. The kids are Elsa and she is 9, and Arvid and he is 7. They know zero English! It gets kinda confusing to communicate with them but it works out just fine. I'm trying to teach them certain things and it has been a lot of fun! They just love me :)
Their parents, Kristian and Amanda speak English extremely well and that has been very nice.
We all get along really well!
I usually stay up kinda late talking with the two of them, its fun!


A bunch has happened while I've been in Sweden, so here are some differences I've noticed:
-you have to pay/rent your grocery bags and shopping cart
-everyone rides bikes because everything is VERY expensive
-their lettuce is grown in the bag and when you buy it, it is still in the soil
-in Sweden the Swedes speak Swedish and no one else outside their country really does. So they are required to learn English
-they drive very fast and don't slow down on the corners. Ever
-they are very family centered and oriented
-their ice cream and chocolate is tons better
-they use the metric system
-they buy their gas in liters
-use Krona's to pay (pronounce it crown)
-cheap price for them is normal price for the U.S.
-very nice and little cars. maybe I'm just use to the Utah cars with a lot of kids?...
-I call Swedish: organized gibberish. I can NOT understand anything they say! It all sounds like gibberish to me
-people peeing in public places-awkward

Thats all I can think of at the moment! Here are a few pictures I've taken so enjoy :)
On our way downtown



Cute house. I had to take a picture!

All of downtown is like this. VERY cute!


Kelsey, Heather, me, Alyssa and Johannes
Johannes is the oldest of 4 kids that Kelsey and Alyssa help with. She speaks English very well!


Elsa and I

A broken frisbee was chucked at her and barely missed her eye! Poor girl. Her mom took her to the hospital just to make sure her eye was ok.

Arvid! He's a funny kid. His parents call him the fruit loop in their family.





Alyssa at the shopping mall
We went to a shopping mall on Monday, May 16th. Everything in Sweden is expensive, so this store we went to was very cheap with nice things! Picture an Ikea store on a black Friday. Thats how busy this place was!

Shopping trip successful!!

1 notes:

luvmorgansky said...

So happy to see a post! Love you can't wait to hear about your adventures~ PLEASE be good and safe!
LOVE YOU!